Why pay for another service when you can have Sirius radio for home and car with a single subscription?
If you already have a Sirius subscription for your car, you only need to install a Sirius Dock and Play home kit to enjoy exclusive streaming XM radio content at home without additional costs.
The process will take less than an hour. Plus, the kit is compatible with any stereo system with audio input jacks. So, scroll down for how to hook up Sirius radio to home stereo.
- Things to Prepare
- Steps to Hook Up Sirius Radio to Home Stereo
- How to Troubleshoot Sirius Home Radio After Installation
- Precautions When Installing Sirius Radio to Home Stereo
Things to Prepare
What is needed for Sirius radio at home? Not many, you only need two things.
- A Sirius Dock and Play home kit (or Sirius home receiver kit)
- Four M3 screws
Unfortunately, you won’t find a free SiriusXM radio receiver. The Dock and Play home kit is a must to install your Sirius XM home radio. It costs about $50.
Steps to Hook Up Sirius Radio to Home Stereo
Step 1. Connect the home dock (or home receiver)
To begin, pick a location for your Sirius XM receiver for home. It should be near the stereo system, allow you to see the display clearly, and is easy to connect the antenna to. Remember to avoid direct sunlight.
You can connect Sirius radio to home stereo through either the AUX IN or LINE IN connection. So, don’t worry that the device is not compatible with your stereo system.
Similarly, when you hook up Sirius radio to car stereo without AUX, you can use the LINE IN connection.
Now, open your Sirius home receiver kit, and you shall find:
- A Sirius home dock
- A home dock spacer (not included in the Sportster 3 or Sportster 4 kit)
- An indoor/outdoor antenna
- A home power adapter
- A stereo audio cable
On the back of the receiver, you will see three ports from left to right: ANT (antenna), DC5V, and AUDIO OUT.
- Connect the antenna cable to the ANT port.
- Connect the home power adapter to the DC5V port and plug the other end into a wall outlet.
- Connect the stereo audio cable to the AUDIO OUT port.
After that, connect the other end of the audio cable to your home stereo. The cable will have one white left and one red right connector. You can plug them into any audio input on your stereo other than the PHONO ones.
Now, turn the home stereo system on, and select the input connection you use (AUX or LINE IN). The video below will explain this step more thoroughly:
Step 2. Dock the home receiver
Skip this step if you’re working with a Sportster 3 or Sportster 4. But on other models, you must install the home dock spacer so the device can stand straight firmly.
To install the spacer:
- Peel the adhesive strip on its back.
- Place the dock on the spacer.
- Press them tightly together.
Step 3. Find a good signal-receiving spot for the antenna
Hold the antenna in your hand, move it from room to room, and aim at different windows to find the best transmission spot.
You should turn on the Signal Indicator menu to see whether you’re receiving strong signals. To display the menu:
- Press menu
- Choose the down arrow to see a drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to highlight Signal Indicator and press Select.
- Check the figures shown on the Satellite and Terrestrial bar.
In addition, adjust the home receiver’s angle until it achieves the highest signal strength. You can turn it slightly left or right. Remember to hold each position for a few seconds to check for signal fluctuations.
If you live in big cities, finding good reception is easy as the density of Sirius satellites in cities is huge. But if you live in other areas, this step might be troublesome. Make sure your antenna faces South and is free of any obstruction.
You can turn on Google satellite map to see the South and point your antenna towards that direction. Note that any non-glass element will cause reception issues, so you must get the blinds out of the way.
If you can’t find a spot near a window, go outdoor. Try placing the antenna on your porch, window ledge, table, or patio. Pay attention to any hazards that may damage the device.
Step 4. Mount the antenna
When you find the perfect spot, proceed to mount the antenna using the four screws you’ve prepared.
Finally, route the antenna cable to the home dock. You should install protective grommets to secure the cable in place. Avoid coils of wire as they might cause interference.
If the antenna cable provided in the kit is not long enough, you can purchase an Antenna Extension Cable on the Sirius website.
Step 5. Check the connection
You have finished installing Sirius satellite radio at home. Now, insert batteries into the remote control, press, and hold the Menu button to return to the main screen.
The audio should be crisp and clear, and you have access to all the exclusive content of your Sirius subscription.
How to Troubleshoot Sirius Home Radio After Installation
Even after the installation is complete, tiny technical problems might arise. No big deal! Here are four common issues and how you can fix them.
1. The screen shows good signals but you can’t hear the audio
You should inspect the connections. Are they firm and secure? Ensure you plug the audio cable into the correct audio inputs.
Also, check the volume of your home stereo system and the receiver. Raise them until the sound improves.
2. The screen says “Invalid Channel”
This means you have chosen a channel that you are not subscribed to. Select other channels to see if the message goes away.
3. The screen says “Check Antenna Connection”
You should check the antenna cable, try removing and plugging it into the receiver. If the message persists, inspect your antenna and make sure it is not bent or broken.
4. The audio shuts off unexpectedly
Firstly, check the Sleep Timer feature on your home stereo system with Sirius. Do so by pressing the Sleep button atop the radio several times until the screen displays OFF.
Secondly, check if the Delayed Power is set. This function will automatically shut down the home dock after a set period. You should turn it off.
Precautions When Installing Sirius Radio to Home Stereo
- Do not expose the radio, home dock, and antenna to extreme temperatures, moisture, fire, direct sunlight, or any other heat sources.
- Do not install the device with wet hands.
- Do not let any liquid or dust spill into the device. Avoid installing your antenna in dusty areas.
- Do not clean your device with harsh chemicals or aerosol cleaners.
- If you’re unable to install the device, ask for help from professionals. Do not try to disassemble or repair the device yourself. Opening the case improperly may result in an electric shock.
- Do not place any heavy objects on the home receiver.
The same precautions apply when you connect Sirius to car stereo.
I have Sirius in my car, can I listen at home? Yes, you can. A Sirius home kit will allow you to enjoy the service both in your car and at home without a second subscription.
Now that you know how to hook up Sirius radio to home stereo, when do you plan to proceed? Will you get a Sirius home kit or choose another radio service? Let us know in the comment section.